This year marked the fifth anniversary of what was originally known (by a very small few) as the Badd Press Blog. That somewhat regrettable handle is behind us, thankfully. As is another year of COVID-19 awfulness. This latest variant is a blow to be sure. But it is also a reminder of what keeps us going: the people close to us – physically or otherwise – and the finer things in our lives, like music that makes us say wow.
In addition to this list of 2021 favourites below, I have prepared an episode of The Moderns dedicated to a larger collection of the year’s highlights. And a still longer list of recordings is available in playlist format on Spotify. Please look for The Moderns 2021 Favourites.
Enjoy. And best wishes to you and yours in 2022.
- Aija Alsina – Creation (Independent)
- John Cage/Apartment House – Number Pieces (Another Timbre)
- Chrystal Für – Elusion (Independent)
- Federico Durand – Herbario (laaps records)
- JJJJJerome Ellis – The Clearing (NNA Tapes)
- The Humble Seaman – 120 5×5 (Rottenman Editions)
- Kevin Richard Martin – Return to Solaris (Phantom Limb)
- Observatories (Ian Hawgood & Craig Tattersall) – Flowers Bloom, Butterflies Come (IIKKI)
- Marina Rosenfeld – Index (Room40)
- Philip Samartzis + Eugene Ughetti – Polar Force (Room40)
- Seaworthy & Matt Rösner – Snowmelt (12k)
- Sonae – Summer (laaps records)
- ‘t Geruis – Various Thoughts and Places (Lost Tribe Sound)
- These Liminal Days – Empty Spaces 1 (Independent)
- Valery Vermeulen – Mikromedas (Ash International./Touch)